Currently, the Institute operates in the following areas:
In the field of air protection:
- determination of the physicochemical composition of primary and secondary aerosols for the purpose of evaluating their effects on health and the environment,
- determining the impact of air pollution on climate change,
- determination of the amount and composition of pollutants emitted by industrial and energy facilities, with special reference to hazardous substances,
- testing the chemical and physicochemical properties of substances released into the air,
- determination of emission factors.
In the field of water protection:
- monitoring the condition of the water environment, flowing and stagnant waters, in the full range of water quality indicators and bottom sediments with biogenic compounds, metals, organic pollutants and plastics,
- solving the problems of the functioning of anthropogenic aquatic ecosystems, including the problem of eutrophication, pollution with metals, organic substances and plastics,
- development of the concept of protection and selection of methods of reclamation of water reservoirs,
- problem solving the functioning of wastewater treatment plants, taking into account the problem of the presence of metals and other pollutants in the sewage and the resulting sludge,
- water law surveys and permits.
For the protection of the earth's surface:
- tests of physical and chemical properties of waste,
- identify the impact of point and area pollution, including landfills, on the environment,
- the possibility of neutralization and recovery of waste, including technical works and recovery,
- assessment of coal mining and other industrial solid wastes for their short- and long-term environmental impacts and guidelines for environmentally sound use and disposal,
- protecting the environment from the negative effects of waste,
- developing the natural and technical bases for soil-less reclamation of post-industrial land, such as:
- excavations after open pit mining of backfill sands, gravels, clays and loams,
- stockpiles of waste from underground coal mining - mining, processing, post-flotation, subsidence ponds and tailings ponds,
- waste dumps associated with the extraction and processing of zinc, lead and iron ores,
- energy waste landfills and settling tanks,
- spoil heaps associated with open-pit lignite mining (Turów, Żary, Konin),
- stockpiles and settlers accompanying the production of soda (Mątwy),
- areas subject to chemical transformation of soils due to the immission of gaseous pollutants (SO2, NOx, E, PAH) and technogenic dusts;
- investigation of the chemical bonding forms of metals in wastes and other environmental samples using chemical sequential extraction methods;
- exploring the occurrence of technogenic magnetic and geochemical anomalies in the local and national system using geomagnetic parameters;
- studies of magnetic susceptibility of soils as an indicator of contamination of the area covered by the industry, as well as the preparation of maps of the distribution of magnetic susceptibility,
- the use of waste heat from wastewater from the energy industry and geothermal waters to warm the soil for crop production.
In cooperation with economic entities, planning offices and administrative bodies, the Institute carries out research and implementation work, including:
- Monitoring of selected pollutants in the air (Hg, PM1, PM2.5, VOC, OC / EC), calibration and intercalibration of measuring instruments.
- Introduction of new techniques for monitoring emissions and immissions of substances into the atmosphere.
- Tests, measurements and expert opinions for the needs of investment processes and the ongoing operation of industrial plants.
- Technologies for the protection of individual elements of the environment.
- Preparation of environmental decision documents for facilities.
- Exploring the state of each component of the environment.
- waste management guidelines.
- Comprehensive environmental impact assessments for the investment.
- Designing the reclamation of landfills and post-industrial areas.
- Effects of limnetic ecosystem reclamation on water quality.