The department specialises in the following research topics:
- Transformations and mobility of metals / metalloids, e.g. As, Sb, Cr, Tl, Te, Ge and their speciation forms in the water-soil-soil environment using the ICP-MS method and the combined HPLC-ICP-MS technique (team of Magdalena Jabłońska-Czapla D.Sc., Associate Professor, Prof. IEE PAS);
- Mobility of selected Technology Critical Elements (TCE) and their speciation forms in soils in areas associated with the storage and processing of e-waste (team of Magdalena Jabłońska-Czapla D.Sc., Associate Professor, Prof. IEE PAS);
- Use of natural and waste resources in the removal of pollutants from water and wastewater by adsorption methods and the effects of physical and chemical modification of raw materials on their adsorption capacity (team of Joanna Kyzioł-Komosińska Full Professor);
- Research into the properties of chitosan-based materials and the possibility of using them to remove anions from water ( Full Professor Joanna Kyzioł-Komosińska's team);
- Transport and mobility of heavy metal ions and radioactive elements under the conditions of the aeration and saturation zone (team of Joanna Kyzioł-Komosińska Full Professor ;
- Investigation of selected indicator substances in environmental samples using ion chromatographic methods (team of Rajmund Michalski Full Professor);
- New applications of ion chromatography and related techniques in speciation and chemical analysis (team of Rajmund Michalski Full Professor ).